The Best of Both Worlds

Telfenham walked out of his cottage with a profound sigh. He had helped Gilean find his past, but even he wasn't prepared for everything it would mean. He clasped his hands behind his back as he walked out into the field, sinking into his own thoughts. He was far too old to have this happen to him. To have a traitor within his midst, one that he helped to bring back - he was facing exile. Gilean wasn't only a traitor, he was- 'Telfenham... I know you can hear me. I need to speak with you.'

Gilean's voice soaked through the fabric of the planar reality and within seconds, Telfenham bent space and stood at the side of the young man. He felt exhausted by the sheer immensity of what he had done and what he would undoubtedly have to do to rid himself of the trouble. "I assume you heard what your son has recently said to me. I find his offer unacceptable. I will not lead him back, only to see him rip another's happiness apart."

Telfenham agreed. He had attempted to set his son straight regarding Sanria and bringing her back to no avail. Velentham would hear none of it. Somehow, he had been given a hardened hot-head for a son. "Eosos, my son has his failings as many of us do. None, not even Celestials, are perfect."

"I'm glad to hear you say that," Gilean said with a chuckle.

"That said, we do have a slight issue. You see, when I offered up the rose for Velentham to use, I did not anticipate it bringing back an outcast."

"So, you knew of his plan?" Gilean asked.

"Look at this place. It is beautiful. What mortal wouldn't wish to live in a place like this? And Sanria did. Why not give my son what he wanted. It didn't seem to harm any."

"But it's not really a choice..." Gilean said with a light sigh.

"It would have been should she have pined into the rose. Desire activates it... If she would have desired to return, she would have."

"Yet, here I am."

"You desired to know more about yourself."

Telfenham knew he must remedy the situation. He had to get Gilean on his side, had to get the lesser celestial to agree to a term that would get him home and keep him quiet for eternity. "You must understand, I have no desire to be here. I am happy to leave you both and never speak of this. I only wish to go back. As a father of a somewhat... wayward son, you must be able to see within you to help me," Gilean said.

"If I aid you, you must swear to me that you will never utter a word of this to any Celestial in any time from here until perpetuity. Do I make myself perfectly clear?"

"You help me get back home and you have my eternal promise."

Before anything could be agreed upon, Velentham arrived in a blaze of light.