Trust

The healer had gone. Gilean, she thought, that's his name. He had said that she should trust this big man. That he was telling her the truth. She did belong here. This was her home. The whole thing seemed absurd. This place was enormous. Who needed a house this big? "This is your home," the big man - Carl... Colin said. "It was your home before we were even married."

"We're married?" The words finally seemed to mean something and she looked at her hand. No ring.

"Yes, I'm your husband." Car... Colin held up his hand revealing a band. "You wear yours on your necklace."

"Why? I mean..." Who wore a wedding ring on their neck and not their finger.

"You recently switched. But that's a long story."

She searched her mind - twinkling lights, black wall - there was nothing. She walked into the library followed not long after by the big - Colin - carrying an small boy with blonde hair. "Sanria... this is our son, Orn."

"No... sorry, I don't have a child that I'm aware of. But he looks like a very nice boy." The small boy - Orn - reached toward her excitedly.

"See... he knows who you are."

"He's a nice boy."

"Yes... he is. You can hold him. Maybe it will help?"

"I think it will let him pull my hair." She chuckled and turned away.

"So have you read all of these?" she asked. She knew what they were, knew what they were for, but why this house had so many was beyond her.

"Oh, no. Not by a long shot. But I think you may have. You loved spending time in here."

"Can't say I remember that... everything seems like a big blank spot. Only thing I remember is waking up just a little bit ago."

"It's ok. It will probably take some time for it to come back. At the worst, you can read all of these books again for the first time."

"If I stay, I guess so."

In the kitchen, her eyes fell on a rose that seemed to shimmer with its own inner brilliance. "Now that is pretty."

"You got that on a recent, but unexpected trip. Another long story, I suppose." There seemed to be a lot of 'long stories.' "I know you're trying to help me, but I really don't remember any of this. You're telling me I'm married with a child and..."

"Yeah. Instant family that you don't remember."

"Is he our only one?"

"Yes. Well... We lost two before they were born. That would be one of the more fortunate things to not remember. The last loss was very recent... and it's been difficult."

"Was that why they found me dead?"

"I don't know for certain... We also lost a close friend. Maybe it was just all too much."

"Maybe so."

"Tell you what. Let me make us something to eat. I've never been brought back from the dead, but it sounds like you could use some sustenance."