Vanishing Rose

"I don't know, it's rather special to me, though I can't truly say why..." Sanria looked at her mug of tea. Something in her was riled, angry, protective of the trinket. She didn't know why she would feel such a way, why this dark sensation would rise from her to the point she had to hide her face.

"Yes, I don't know how much time might be needed to awaken more than just impressions of my memories."

Sanria could hear the desperation in Gilean's voice. She knew that to let him borrow the rose might enable him to be with the one he loved, and didn't everyone deserve that? She was also jealous. Jealous that someone who lost their memories could come to her, request a simple flower, and recover what made them who they were. It wasn't fair.

"Mama!" The tiny voice of her son brought her from her thoughts and a smile broke over her face as relief flooded her body. The little boy slowed down suddenly, his brown eyes warily eying their company. "These are our friends. Do you remember them?" She chuckled as Orn shook his head bashfully. "Well let's meet them." Sanria lifted Orn into her arms and turned him to the table. "This is Miss Claire, and this is Mister Gilean."

"What you doing?" Orn asked after all introductions had been handled.

"We are talking," Sanria replied, a slight frown playing on her face.

"Bout what?"

"About mama's rose."

"Don't touch. You get in trouble."

Sanria set the boy on the floor, her frown increasing. Had she truly been so protective over a flower that even her son knew not to touch it? There was no reason for her to feel as she did, was there? "It's very important to you, isn't it?" Gilean asked once Orn had run out into the garden to play.

"When I look at it, I feel like I'm drifting away to a better place. Somehow, as though it will take me far from here. Colin doesn't really like it when I stare at it..." And truly, as she looked down over the petals, it felt as though a part of her was floating away.

"Sanria."

"I only know that I love to look at it... it helps me when I feel down..."

"Sanria."

Gilean's voice pulled her from the floating place in her mind and she looked over at him. "I can promise you that I will take utmost care of it. I will return it to you just as soon as I have found out what I may." There were no other questions, for it seemed there was only one choice. Sanria slowly offered the rose to Gilean, her heart sinking beneath the weight of the decision.