To Orn and Back Again (1-3)

With the statement that Thasmudyan would do his best to ensure no one died, Sanria, Thasmudyan, and Colin entered into a moonwell and arrived at the village on the Dark Continent. Immediately, Sanria could see Colin going to the defensive. She could see it in his very posture. This time, how- ever, she stood back. This time she would not stop him. If she continued to prevent him from learning how to handle himself, he'd never learn. In a way, this was a good test, though it scared her... he... scared her.

When Banion, the village elder, came out to greet Colin, it was all Sanria could do not to intervene. Colin had his hands on the hilts of his swords, demanding to know where Arlenia had gone. Sanria watched the elder man, seeing the fear on his face, seeing Colin bear down on him, and her soul ached.

Sanria turned and headed up the mountain path, leaving Colin and Thasmud- yan behind. She arrived at the top of the mountain and stared out over the Sea of Swords. Again, she tried to reach Orn and found nothing. She had never felt so helpless. The deep seated demon of doubt clawed at her heart and dispair flowed into her mind. What if she couldn't reach Orn in time? What if Arlenia did kill him? What would she do?

The sound of footfalls reached her ears as Colin and Thasmudyan arrived. "Sanria... I'm sorry," Colin began. "Maybe you're right. Maybe I should stay behind."

Frustration flooded Sanria. Colin had ignored her wishes to even come this far, bullied an old man, and now was ready to go back home. Logic should have spoken to her, but Sanria could see nothing but her anger. She fought the suggestion with silence.

"Perhaps I could try something," Thasmudyan said. "Do you have something of Orn's?"

Have something of Orn's. Sanria fought the irritation at the question and pulled from her pocket the boy's ear still wrapped in bloody gauze. She held it out to Thasmudyan. "Will this do?"

"He's farther north. A pretty good distance," Thasmudyan said.

It was all Sanria needed. Through her rage, she tried to cast a moonwell, but couldn't manage to make it happen. Tears broke from her eyes as she encanted again and again. Colin laid a comforting hand on her shoulder, and just as easily, Sanria shrugged it off. Finally, the spell took hold. The trio landed in Waterdeep, and before Thasmudyan had gotten completely out of the well, Sanria turned toward him. "Here? Is he here?"

"North."

Again, Sanria cast her spell, landing the group in Port Llast. Desperation that she had successfully fought now threatened to send her into a frenzy. "He's in that direction, toward the inn," Thasmudyan said.

Sanria led the way, bursting into the inn. "Excuse me, have you seen a boy, he's about yay big..." Sanria held her hand up to her chest. The innkeep, a spindly old man, stared at her for a long moment. "He's my son," Sanria continued. "He's lost."

"I think you're looking for the police," the man quipped.

"No," Sanria said, her ire rising. "We believe he is here. ORN!"

"M'am, I'll have to get the authorities -"

"ORN!"

Sanria heard nothing as she raced up the stairs, her heart pounding. Only two rooms, only two choices. She went to the first and found the door unlocked. With Thasmudyan and Colin behind her, she opened it and froze in place. Arlenia sat on the bed, Orn's head in her lap, gently stroking his hair with one hand while the other held a dagger to his throat.

"I knew you'd come," Arlenia said, and the voice sent chills through Sanria's body. Orn lay there, his head bandaged as well as his hand. Arlenia pointed toward the table. "I was just about to send his finger, then I heard this one shouting."

Sanria looked at Arlenia in disbelief. She took a step forward, and the gladiatrix tensed immediately. "Not another step or I'll kill him right now."

Sanria obediantly stopped, looking on helplessly. "Arlenia," Colin said in a near growl, "You give me my son."

"He should have been ours. Yours and mine. Ah well, too bad."

"You did this to yourself. You didn't wait for me," Colin said.

"You aren't a good liar. Had you said that to me long ago, I might have believed you. Now?"

"You should have waited for me."

"I don't believe you."

At Colin's advance, Arlenia pressed the knife enough to bring blood from Orn's neck. Sanria felt herself swoon. "Not another step."

"You're going to pay for this," Colin threatened.

"When I knew that you weren't coming back to me, I killed your child. When you still didn't come, I knew you would if I took this one. If I can't have you as anything else, I'll have you as my killer."

With swiftness, Arlenia plunged the dagger into Orn's neck. Sanria's world went dark. When she awoke, Orn was huddled by Thasmudyan, staring up at his father in fear before running to her. She looked over and saw Arlenia's head on the ground and Colin's swords in the woman's chest.

Sanria rose, holding Orn close as the boy sobbed, all his emotions finally released. She looked at Colin, then to the body, and back again. Blood covered the gladiator, and Sanria knew then she could never look on Colin the same way again. "I'll be home soon," he said. Sanria barely nodded as she vanished with Orn.