Lost and Found

Claire stared out of the window that faced the back of  her  cottage.  She watched  the lazy stream bubble and babble its way over the rocks, scattering the sunlight  on its  surface.  She watched the tufts of pollen that dropped from the trees, glowing  speckles that drifted on the light breeze.  They had more freedom than she.

Night finally  fell and the  children were tucked away in bed.  Claire sat with Gilean, watching  him read in his chair, the firelight casting a deep yellow glow on his  skin.  From the corner of his eye, he looked over  at her and closed  his book.  He  gave a  warm, though pitying smile.  "You seem troubled," he said gently.
"I can't keep doing this, Gilean," Claire replied.
"Doing what?"
"Staying inside, locked away from life out of fear."
"There's nothing else we can do."
"I am going to go to him."

A sudden chill went through the room and Gilean looked down  at his lap.  Claire sighed  lightly.  "I know we have been  trying to  let this bond die, but it's not, Gilean.  I am losing my mind."
"I just think that given time-"
"How  much  time?  I'm... I'm miserable, Gilean.  This method is not  the answer.  I'm not feeling less drawn to him, on the contrary, it's gotten worse."
"I don't know what else I can say," he whispered.

Claire's  heart ached for  Gilean.  She hated what she did  to him, hated  making him hurt, but  she could do  nothing about what nature  had placed  between herself and Ruthivan.  She stood up and walked over to Gilean, giving  him a small hug, one that was meekly returned. "I'll be back."  A nod was all she gained by way of a reply.