Gazing into Madness

The flash of golden light filled the room and Sanria looked up to see Velentham staring back at her. His eyes were solidly glowing silver, his face was scratched and his shoulder openly bleeding. His shirt was singed and blackened, but on his face was a grin of triumph.  He was breathing heavily and he  strode across the room and pulled her to her feet.  Without a word he pulled her into an agg ressive kiss, his  mouth pressed tightly  against hers.  He grinned again as he pulled back.  "Did you miss me love?"
"I..."
"Of course you did.  Of course you did," he repeated. "Just say yes, damn you."
"Y.. yes.  I missed you."
"Good," he said, and set her on the bed. Sanria watched  him as he paced the room, murmuring to  himself as he wrung his hands.  She finally got the courage to speak, "What happened to you?"

Velentham's eyes scared her more than anything else and when he dove to the side of the bed, gripping her hands in his, kissing them feverishly, she cringed.
"I fought for your honor, my love.  I fought to get us home."
"Fought... who?"
"It doesn't matter."
"It does... you're hurt... what happened to the other person?"
"People. Other people. And it doesn't matter.  I'll go back to battle with them soon, but it's all for you.  Everything I do is for you." Sanria stared at him and his face, once smiling, suddenly grew cruel and pinched.  "Don't you believe me?  Don't you hear what I'm saying to you?"
"Yes, yes, I believe you and hear you."
"Then why are you looking at me like that?"

Sanria suddenly found herself jerked forward, her nose inches from Velentham's.
"WHY?"
"I, Gods, I didn't  mean to look at you like  that, I am just..." her mind went into high gear searching for a word. "I'm just worried about you and your wounds - that's all."
"Oh... oh, I'm sorry my love." The smile returned.  "I'm just caught up in this feeling."
"What feeling?"
"That we'll soon be on our way home.  Very soon."

Velentham lifted  her hand and kissed it gently, though the passion on his face never left  and his eyes never  dimmed.  Sanria wanted to tell him that she had no desire to go, she didn't want to leave, but now was not the time to say any- thing.  "I love you," he said and looked at her, waiting. 
"I love you, too," Sanria said  with  as much conviction  as she  could muster.
"I know you do.  You see?  That  asshole is wrong.  He's dead  wrong about us."
"Who?"
"It doesn't matter. All that matters  is he's wrong, I'm right, and you're here with me.  Are you hungry?"
"No," she answered, but was still presented with magically created food. "Eat."  The command  was clear, and Sanria  did not want to discover what would happen if she  didn't obey.  Under the glowing gaze, she bit into the fruit and tried not to think about how sick it made her.