Prime Material

Sanria floated Colin into the bedroom and finally released her spell, dropping him onto the bed. She walked to the other side and lay there looking over at him as he twitched constantly in his sleep. She couldn't know what he was seeing in his fitful dream. She couldn't figure out why she couldn't just love him. If she could have managed that, then she'd be happy. Things would be right. Unfortunately, they weren't. They wouldn't be... for whatever the reason... she and Colin were finished.

He woke and locked his eyes on hers. "Kaliadra, is she... is she okay?"

"I believe she is fine," Sanria said, still laying there looking at him.

"Throm... is..."

"He's fine as well. You apparently went in there and killed his couch before pass- ing out."

She watched as he struggled with this, oblivious to what he had done. He hadn't even been aware of his reaction. "I can't live like this."

"You can," was all Sanria could say in response. He'd have to. She frowned as the next topic of thought crossed her mind. "Colin... I want to take Orn back with me. The place I came from was beautiful."

"Is that where the rose came from?"

Sanria had forgotten the rose that still lay on the table. He had noticed. "Yes. Everything there is like that - beautiful."

"You can't take him from me."

"Colin, if he were raised there he would never hurt, never want for anything - he'd be at perfect peace and perfect balance. When you're there," she said, slipp- ing into her own recollections, "you forget... everything."

"Then take me. Let's all go."

"But, what about your other child?"

"She already plans on raising it alone. Take me to this place."

Sanria looked at Colin, his eyes at once pained and desperate. She didn't know what else to say - did she take him to the place where velentham was and live more of her life with Colin? Did she take him and remain separate? Would it matter if he were there or not? "You can't take him from me," Colin said again.

"Why?" Sanria asked.

"He's my son."

The sigh she let escape her was long. Sanria patted Colin on the shoulder. "Fin- ish getting your rest. I'll stay in the guest rooms."

"No, I'll go - "

"Please. You have my word I'll go nowhere until we've figured this out. I won't take Orn anywhere right now."

"Thank you," Colin said, his eyes grateful and tormented. Sanria rose from the bed and walked from the room. She went to the kitchen and picked up the rose and with a sigh, headed to the guest bedroom to sleep off her own weariness.