Backfires and Downdrafts

Velentham knew that Colin didn't want him to stay. His saving grace had actually been his cousin's name - a fact in which the irony was not lost. Sanria had talked Colin into not tossing him out and so the Celestial found himself walking behind the big man up the stairs to one of the guest rooms, leaving the love of his life behind him.

Velentham laid there for several hours before deciding to meet with Sanria. It was late and he rose and moved though the cavern without a sound, down to the kitchen. He sent forth a wave of energies, subversive, yes, but it got the job done. In moments, she entered the kitchen claiming she was hungry.

He watched her walk over to get the fruit from the ice box. He watched her sit down and he sat beside her. The whole of the situation made Velentham's heart ache. He loved her to the point of pain. He crossed through the hells to come back to her. "Have you thought about seeing if there's a way to get the memories back?"

"I've thought about it many a time. I've been told by druids that I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, I've been asked by Colin not to seek out my past -"

"Why don't they want you to remember anything?"

"I was troubled enough to want to take my own life. I guess they all feel that the memories would bring back those feelings and maybe make me completely unsettled again."

"What if I told you I could help you remember? If I could ease the burden of feeling but give you back your memories, would you? If I could ensure that you knew all you needed to know... that you remembered your past self but without the pain... would you want that?"

Sanria's nod was enough. He couldn't let her change her mind, so before another word could be spoken, Velentham placed his hands on each side of her head. The block he found within her mind was massive, but no match for his abilities. In mere instants he cleared away the darkness and let Sanria feel her memories for only a moment. He moved in, placing his lips to hers, sending calm, joy, and peace with the kiss. Enhancing the memories of himself and their time together until she pulled away.

"Velentham..." she began. "I'm with... Colin..."

"I know. But that can be remedied."

"I remember it all... and I thank you... but I haven't forgotten what happened afterward. Colin... may have been a bit subversive in getting us together... but..."

No. This wasn't what was supposed to happen. He had been good, he hadn't forced her to do anything. This was not right. "Sanria... please... don't... I told him I would let you choose... but I didn't anticipate that you would choose him over me."

"Velentham... He's... my husband. The father of my children."

"But... I love you. Everything about you. Your soul, your mind, your body... if you give me the chance I promise you, you'll never want for anything again. You'll never worry about anything. You'll never experience pain. I'd be yours forever, and I could make it so that you could be the same to me."

"I thank you for everything you've done tonight. I... needed to remember all of this so I could say goodbye to it."

"What? Sanria, no..." This couldn't be.

"I can't be that woman again. I... have to go."

"Please - wait..."

"Goodnight Velentham."

Sanria left the room and Velentham felt his heart fall. He was crushed, he was hurt, he was... angry. His eyes flashed silver and his nostrils flared. He stormed from the kitchen and into the garden. He took off, flying upward in the skies, screaming in rage. This would not do. This would not be the way this ended.