Coming Home

Claire asked Gilean not to come, but she should have known that no force could keep him away. He had traversed the Nine Hells to get back to her - so it really was no surprise to see him appear. "Claire, please. Let's go back home and we can talk."

'I don't want to talk to you right now, Gilean. I want to go to my home and have the time to think about this whole thing.'

"Claire, why won't you talk to me? How can we work through this if you're just going to go away?"

'Because I... I don't know if I want to be with someone who could do what you did. I don't know if I want to go back...'

Claire felt terrible looking at the tired face of Gilean. He was absolutely desperate. "But Claire... oh Claire. I need you. I am the same man. I've been worn so thin, but it's me and I need you. I crossed all that for you. I understand how I've hurt you. And I can understand needing time before everything will be ok. But how can we work through it if we're apart? Claire... I'll do anything. Please."

'What if you have another lapse of judgment? What if sometime down the road you are weary and do something else? Do you... truly even...' Claire trailed off. She couldn't bear to finish the sentence - he had hurt her so deeply.

"Claire, it's still me. You have to know that my intention wasn't..."

'I don't know... you got back here and came home to me and your soul is so... so... all over the place - as if you're trying to hold up part of the world and submerge the other part.'

"It is Claire... the memories of what I've put my family through, and having to deal with my people, and having to fight through hell, and Velentham... It's all so much."

Claire could see the weight that sat on Gilean's shoulders, still, it was hard for her to come to terms with what had happened. She knew, however, that no matter how much she wanted to leave, Gilean would follow, and she couldn't have him come back to her people with her. They would have to work it out.

They appeared back in at the cottage. Claire turned Gilean to her. 'Something has to give - and if I have to step away to let you work this out and make sense of it... I will.'

"No... if anything I need your help. You help to give me perspective."

'Then don't ever - ever - do that again... If you ever hurt someone like that... I promise you... I will go and not look back.'

Gilean held her tightly and Claire felt her strength wane. She said nothing to Gilean, but the child was sapping her more than even she thought it would. She put on the most normal face she could - but something was wrong.