Battle Scars

No sooner than the two men let go of her than Sanria scrambled, scooping Leandra in one arm and Orn in her other. The little boy fought hard against his mother, "Papa! Help Papa!" Sanria got to the door and looked at Orn, her eyes holding a seriousness not lost on the child.

"I'll help Papa, please, you have to help Leandra."

Orn set his jaw, a Colin in miniature, and nodded in agreement. Sanria whisked the children into the house and raced back outside and positioned herself between Colin and Velentham. "Stop this. Please. Both of you, I'm begging you both... stop."

"I'll stop when you agree to come with me and this beast knows his place."

"No! You will pay!"

Sanria turned to face Velentham, certain to keep in the dead center of the two men. "I can't go with you... my children are here, as is my hus- band. Please... understand."

"I will let you bring the children with us, my love."

"Sanria, move. Let me take care of him."

"No. No to both of you. Stop. You're both acting like animals. I am not an object and I will not be treated as though I don't have a choice!"

"Sanria, you had a choice and you made the wrong one. I'm here to fix that. They took you away from me, I'm only here to finish what we started."

"She said no Velentham. No!"

Velentham's glowing eyes locked on Sanria and she felt the pit of her stomach drop. He rushed forward, lifting her from her feet with the same speed he displayed before. He carried her high into the air, setting her on the side of the mountain that housed her cavern. He drifted back down as she clung to the side, balanced on the sliver of ledge where he placed her.

Far below she could see Colin glaring up. She had to get down there. Fast.