Thasmudyan (1-2)

Sanria walked instead of using magic, trying desperately to calm herself down.  She ran her hands over the trunks of trees, catching only slivers of their whispers as she made her way back to the cavern. She would have to write the letter soon, but she couldn't.  Not at that moment.  She would not let herself cry, that was the old Sanria.  She couldn't afford to let emotions get in her way.  There was no room in war, battle, leadership, for sobbing emotional messes. The new Sanria knew this.  Slowly, she had evolved.  She saw things with a calculating  glance, a precision, like  a puzzle to be solved.  This was what she had agreed to do.  There  was no room for error when dealing with lives.

She was wrapped  in her own mind when she noticed Thasmudyan standing at her  door.  Here was yet another puzzle to be solved, but one that required her to  remove her feelings.  He had been missing for nearly a year.  She had let him go.  This was not anticipated - Colin was on another plane, getting fixed, and, it seemed, no sooner than, Thasmudyan had showed up at her door... literally... and he looked terrible.
"Oh thank the Light.. Sanria."
"What... happened?"
"Tricked... held against my will.  In Torregiano."
"Wh... what do you mean, held against your will?"
"It.. well, it's a long story."
Long  story.  This is where it  began.  Always.  "I'm... not sure why you're here."
"I'm sorry... to come here like this. I didn't know where else to go, though.  I'm sure  they're after me.  I'm too ...valuable, if you can believe that."
"Well, perhaps Maya would be willing to hide you.  I'm sure she knows of places you could go."  It was cruel, but he had to go.
"If I knew where to find her, maybe." He replied, raising his eyebrow.
"I'm sorry.  I'm sure you two have some means of communicating."
"If I had ....means...of communicating with anyone... don't you think I'd have done it?"
"You do know where she lives, don't you?"  Sanria had to stand firm.
"I don't ... Maybe coming here was a mistake."

It was  only moments after  this statement, Sanria feeling  secure in the resolve that Thasmudyan would be leaving, when the front door was thrown open to reveal Leandra with Nioma, squalling in her arms. 'No,' Sanria thought.  'Anything but this.  Not now, Gods, not now.' "Leandra, go back inside.  Now."
"I... sorry... I didn't... she's fussy and..."
"NOW!"
A change  came over Leandra's face, and Sanria knew the demand was to be met  with a challenge.  The girl stormed  forward and shoved Nioma into Sanria's arms. "I have to take care of my own, you deal with her."
"Yes.  A mistake." Sanria echoed to Thasmudyan after Leandra left.

"...I thought  perhaps I could count on you in a time of need, as you used to count on me... but I see I was wrong. I'll just ...find somewhere else to hide, I guess.  Enjoy your life with Colin, then."
"How  dare you.  Do you even know how long you've been gone?  Do you?  Or that Maya is pregnant with, and has probably already had your baby?"
"Ten months, thirteen  days, and twelve hours.  That's how long I was imprisoned," Thasmudyan said, his eyes alight with anger.

Sanria  closed her eyes, gritting her teeth and flexing her jaw.  Why everything  seemed to be converging  at once she didn't know, nor did she understand, but  here it was, and it wasn't going away.  Thasmudyan was right.  He had  come to  her for help, something she'd always asked of  him.  She owed  him her life, Orn's life... She lowered her head.  "So you need to hide from TriPower."
"... Yes."

Sanria  handed  Nioma to Thasmudyan, rummaging for  her keys upon the discovery that Leandra had locked them  out.  She rushed, the less he saw of the little girl the better. "Colin doesn't have blue eyes, and  neither  do you.."  Sanria  pulled Nioma  from Thasmudyan's  arms and opened the front door, escaping inside. 
"We don't know where the blue came from. Must have been in there from genes... somewhere."
"Where'd the blue come... oh hell."
"She's Colin's daughter," Sanria said, staring at Thasmudyan, straining to keep the lie from showing completely.
"She's Colin's ...and yours, is that right?"
"Yes."
"...I see.  Well, congratulations on the new addition to your family."

Sanria turned, gesturing to the kitchen, offering up the home that he had  already known for many, many years.  "You, can feel free to make yourself at home.  You're not... a burden or anything like that."
"So you say," Thasmudyan said  with a sardonic chuckle.  "But we both know I'm the last person you wanted to see turn up like this."
Better to just get things out of the way.  "Thasmudyan, I worked very hard to accept what I found out from Maya. I worked hard to let you go. And you being... away... just served  to sever what I thought I could  get rid of.  I  was ready  to leave Colin for you...  But I found out  things weren't as they appeared."
"And do you think things are as they appear to be now?" he asked.

Sanria could tell he was holding himself in check.  She also knew she had never quite been so blunt.  Part of her new self. Part of her new life.  "The only  thing I can say is that I am sorry that you endured  an ordeal that took you away for so long. That is why you are standing  here now.  You cannot  help what you were forced into.  And I owe you  more than one."
"Please  understand that I am not  trying to ... dismiss what you are  saying about Maya.  It's just... well, right now I have more pressing  matters at hand to deal with." Sanria  felt the relief wash over her.  "I'm sure.  Which is a relief that  you are only looking  for a place to  hide.  It makes things...  easier for everyone."
"So when is he leaving?" Leandra's voice sounded from behind her.
"Leandra, this is still my house.  Watch your tone, please."
"I've never liked you, you know?  You ruin families.  You're lucky my  dad isn't on this plane or he'd kick your ass."
"You're  right, of course," Thasmudyan  replied with  a touch of ire. 
"That's exactly what I do. You might not want to stay here and talk to me any more or I'll end up ruining yours, too."
"You're far too late for that.  Did you see your kid?" Leandra said, flinging her hand in Nioma's direction.
"LEANDRA!"
"Yes, I did.  Why do you think I'm here?" Sanria ignored this and stood toe to toe with her daughter. "You take Nioma upstairs and stay out of this room. Damn you. Damn it Leandra."

This day was not at all panning out as anticipated.