Full House

The idea that the beggar was able to call him out, to make him look bad in Sanria's eyes, was intolerable to Velentham and made him absolutely salivate with the desire to end Thasmudyan's life.  Discretion, however, is the better part of valor, but that was difficult when his woman wouldn't tell the truth.  When she said things such as, "I've never wanted you."
"Lies.  If you didn't want me I wouldn't be here.  You did at one time.  Of  your own free will."
"It doesn't matter.  What matters is what she wants now.  I'm willing to let  her make that choice, though.  You aren't," the beggar interrupted.
"She made her choice and they came and took her from me.  I'm merely here to  enforce the decision she made in the first place.  Make her... keep her word."
"So what?  Decisions change.  She's chosen me before, too.  Should I be holding  her word to that?"
"If you weren't weak, perhaps you would."

The dark ichor of insanity crept back into the edges of Velentham's mind, only to be beaten back by an idea.  He could see Sanria held some sort of affection for the beggar.  Some desire to keep him safe.  If he could get Thasmudyan to leave the safety of the ward, he could get Sanria to follow most certainly.  He knew her mind from long ago.  Knew she couldn't stop herself from helping the helpless.  In that instant, the goal was in sight.  "Why don't you come  out here, beggar.  Come meet with me on open ground.  Here."

Velentham bent low, a genuflection that opened the space before him.  He had felt the mind of Thasmudyan.  Felt the wavering desires there.  He knew the man could be coaxed.  "Do you take me for a fool?  You know that is no fair  fight while I am so restrained," Thasmudyan said.   Velentham looked to the shackles on the beggar's wrists.  "I could always help  you off with your arms and send you back to that filth you call a lifestream."
"As if you had the power to do that."
"Oh, but anyone does.  Provided they take your life, so you said in our dis- cussion.  You always come back.  Like a cockroach.  We can hit two birds with  one stone, what do you say?  I'll free you of your restraints, and get you out  of my way.  Better yet... I could help you find the little naked savage that  sits out here waiting to see if you screw up."
"...Who?"
"How could you forget the dark-heart that mothered your own flesh and blood?"
"Maya's here?  That's ...interesting, I suppose.  But I have no need to find her."
"She has need to find you, beggar.  Suffering seems to be one of her keenest  desires, and to see you in the thick of it would suit her fine."
"She's here watching the cottage?" Sanria asked, and the sound of her voice was like a bell. 
"She would have hurt you, but I won't let her.  She simply wants to see someone  suffer... and I'll gladly sacrifice the beggar for her needs and spare you the  pain."

Sanria and the beggar conferred, and Velentham growled.  To see the two of  them speaking together sent his blood boiling.  He could barely contain the ire when the beggar's voice was directed at him.  "If I give you this fight you  desire... Maya will leave Sanria alone?"  And the clouds cleared, and the sun shone, and Velentham turned to the beggar with joy veiled only by the scowl on his face.