Discoveries in Seas of Emotion ( 2 of 2)

The plans were made to leave the next day.  Gilean hadn't wanted Sanria to go with the chance she'd run into Ruthivan, and she had obliged, but changed her mind when Orn chose to come along.  She watched Orn go back up the stairs to pack a bag of his own, and left Gilean and Sandorin to return her pack to the bedroom.  She heard a soft shuffle and turned to see Matinus standing in the doorway.

"Hello  dear one," she said with a smile.  "Something you needed?"  She looked at the boy's face and frowned ever so slightly.  There was something wrong.  "What is it?" she said with a voice of concern.
"My dad is guilty."
"Wh.. what?  What do you mean?" She sat on the bed and patted the space beside her.  "Come in, sit." Matinus entered and sat looking at his lap.  "I don't know what he did,
but he's been feeling guilty about it."

"Well I'm sure it's nothing."

The boy  looked up at her and Sanria could see fear and pain written on his features.  "I don't  want him to mess up and make us leave and make you leave us.  I don't want to lose you as my mom."
"Matinus..." Sanria reached over, putting her arm around his shoulders. "I promise you, no matter what this is, I won't go anywhere.  You're my son now and everyone here is your family." "It's just that my Dad and Colin are angry with each other a lot, and now my dad  did something wrong  and feels guilty.  Like when you're trying not to get in trouble, and I don't know why."
"Well, it's  your dad.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it's nothing as bad as it seems."
"You promise you won't go anywhere or make us leave?"
"Oh, Matinus.  I won't go anywhere.  And  you're staying right here for as long as it takes til you grow up and leave on your own."
"What if I don't want to go when I get older?"

Sanria  chuckled and kissed Matinus on the top of the head.  She felt a deep connection to  the boy, as though he were a miniature Orn all over again.  She  squeezed him lightly.  "Then  you  can live here just like  Orn and Mirin.  Now, stop being worried and go play." 


She  watched the lopsided and shy smile come onto Matinus's face and he walked out.  Then, and  only then, did Sanria's smile fade.  Guilty for what?