The New Elder

"The enchantments are in place, Elder Ruthivan."

Ruthivan released Claire's arm and nodded to the wizard, who promptly left.  He looked back at his mate and smiled.  "Welcome home, Claire."

He walked from the room, leaving Claire behind,  and went into the large grand foyer.  While the tent looked small from the outside, looked simply like any other tent, inside it was a palace.  His palace.  After all the years of groveling to the Elder Eladrim and his wife, years spent silent in his observations of their rule, years waiting for Claire to be his as he was promised - he was now the one in charge.  He stopped at the looking  glass and dusted off his jacket and ran fingers through his hair.  He turned and walked out into the tribe.

"My brothers and sisters," he began when they all had reassembled.  "We are at the dawning of a new beginning for this tribe.  Your previous leader, my previous leader, was weak.  A fact well known to every one of us, evidenced by how he allowed his own daugther to run about, shirking her duties to her people.  A fact evidenced when he banished me after everything I had done for his family because I dared to tame the wildness that he allowed to flower in his child.  He is gone, and now I am here to lead us.  As was foretold  in the annals of our histories, one will come forth of noble heritage and pure lineage who will lead us back to our rightful home.  Our duty is to populate our people once more, for if we make a population of great might, the spirit of the  one to lead us will undoubtedly have a home when the time comes.  Your Kra'ineba will serve as an example of a dutiful mother, our bond will be the guide for how to live your lives.  I have proudly brought four children to bear with my beloved mate, and a fifth on the way.  Together, and with the strength of our tribe, they will be raised to be noble, admirable, and pure.  Each of you will be expected to do your part, your duty.  We will champion the new beginnings of the Esper race. We will grow our people to be proud and mighty. We will destroy any who oppose us, abuse us, and use us.  We will return home."

He smiled at the applause, which started slow,  then grew as the others joined in.  He turned to his old friend, Velek, who stood clapping in the group.  "Velek, come here please."
"Elder," Velek addressed as he inclined his head.
"Your son, Fendash, I wish him to tend to my wife."
"It would be an honor for my family to serve."
"Good.  Send him tomorrow morning."
"As you wish, Elder."

Ruthivan turned his back on the tribe and entered his tent.  His children stood looking at him, humbled and quiet, wary and afraid.  "Children," he said, kneeling and holding out his arms.  They reluctantly shuffled forward.  "I know what you saw, and I know it looked terrible, but it was necessary.  Look, look where you live now.  And look at all the people out there, your people." "But you killed Grandfather," Celiara whispered. "I know, my love, but your Grandfather was not a good man.  He was not a strong man.  Not like me. I won't let anything happen to you.  I will take care of you and protect you with my life."

His children entered his embrace and Ruthivan felt them relax.  Everything was changing, everything was turning out right.