Final Straw (1-2)

Claire had stayed in the bedroom since her last argument with Gilean. Her body was weak, and she couldn't quite understand what was wrong. Using her magic, she could tell that the baby was growing and was thriving, but it was fast exhausting her - pulling her magic, her energy, her -

Claire fell asleep. Using magic anymore seemed to pull everything from her and left her feeling completely drained. She woke at the light touch of Gilean's hand upon her shoulder. "I'm sorry to wake you," he said.

'It's alright. What is it?'

"Velentham went to Sanria's house and... well... he did some rather terrible things. He forced Sanria into being intimate, then got into a fight with Colin which resulted in Colin's memories being removed."

'What in the world...'

Claire pulled herself up to sitting. She outwardly kept the appearance of strength, but even this was tiring. "I don't know what I'm going to do with him," Gilean continued, "but first Sanria and Colin need help. I have tried to heal Colin but I cannot find anything to heal. It would seem that whatever Velentham has done is of a more arcane nature."

'Oh my... that is serious... deeply serious.'

"I was hoping there might be something you could do."

'Not if it's arcane. I'm a healer, that is all I truly know. The only sorcerers I knew were Sir Throm and Lady Kaliadra. Have you... tried asking Velentham?'

Gilean turned to look at Claire, his eyes weary and dis- appointed. She truly did feel badly for asking the question, but if he would go back and fix what was wrong, then their solution was right before them.

"After what he did," Gilean said. "You should have seen him when he returned here. I... I think he's losing his sanity, literally."

'Gilean, unless you're ready to spend time tracking down a wolf, he might be able to reverse what he did if he realizes what a terrible thing it was to do in the first place. It is worth asking him to fix his own mess.'

"If he realizes what he did was wrong... I don't know if you realize what you're asking."

It could have been the pregnancy. It could have been the raging exhaustion that rolled over Claire. Whatever it was - when Gilean insinuated Claire just didn't understand, Claire glared with a fire she hadn't felt for Gilean - ever. 'Then perhaps you should stop coming to me for advice?'

"I don't really know what else to say. He raped her, took her husband's memories, and then came back here telling me if he just had enough time with her she would realize it was him she should be with."

'Then I'm sorry I bothered to wake up, since I am ignorant of what you meant the first time you said it.'

Claire laid back down, the weariness slowly creeping over her. "Claire. Just what am I supposed to do here?" Gilean asked. "I try to stop him from going off and interfering in Sanria's life and you tell me that he's not my responsibility. He goes off and does these unthinkable things and Sanria comes to me for help in fixing them. And now you tell me I should go back to him and somehow get him to restore Colin's memories so they can get back to their lives together."

'You came to me and asked what you should do. I gave you my thoughts and you treat me as though I'm a simpleton with some lack of comprehension. If you don't want my advice, then by the Gods, don't ask for it.'

"I wanted your help, Gilean said. I was hoping that there could be a chance you could correct what I could not heal. While I don't mean to disrespect your advice, you didn't see him when he returned to this house. You didn't speak to him and see his delusional state even after what he had done."

'I didn't ask you to come in this room with questions. I gave you my thoughts. Just... leave me in peace. You and your cousin are...'

Claire sighed heavily and laid on the bed. "You're lumping me in with him?" Gilean said, and Claire could hear the frustration in his voice. "Believe me, the fact that he's my cousin frankly disgusts me at this point."

'Please... just leave me in peace.'

"Sorry to have bothered you. I guess I'll do whatever I can."

Upon hearing the door close, Claire got up. There was no way she could take any more. She penned Gilean a note and gathered up what energy she could. With her mind, she sought out the familial vibrations in the magical fabric that covered the entire planet. Once certain of their location, Claire vanished in a bright purple light - home.