The Return

Arkain smiled slightly as he topped a large hill overlooking Westbridge. It was a welcomed sight after traveling as far as he did. He had been gone for nearly a year, searching for his elder brother, whom he hadn't seen since they were children, and he l

He trotted down a narrow path leading into the city. He was weary, and in desperate need of food and somewhere to stay for the night. It was late afternoon and hot, even with the sun blocked out by thick cumulus clouds that hung sporadically throughout t

"Ark!" A familiar voice echoed as the slender figure rapidly approached. The spell dropped from Arkain lips, and they parted with a crooked smile.

"Dimitri, my friend." He said with a sigh of relief. "You have no idea how glad I am to see you!"

The  friends shook hands and quickly embraced. It had been too long since the two friends saw each other, and the reunion was relieving.

"We didn't think you were coming back." Dimitri inquired. "There have been some changes within the guild that you should be aware of."

"New leadership, I presume?" It was a rhetorical question. "I hope you received the letter that I sent while I was away."

"Indeed we have, and we are honoring your resignation. Relic has been chosen as leader, as well as Vandalandius and myself."

Arkain knew that The Hoard leadership had changed since he left. His prolonged absence required it, and it was bitter sweet, but he was ready to pass it on. He was tired.

"You!" Arkain laughed hard. "You have been picked? Oh my dear friend, I couldn't have asked for better people." He nudged Dimitri and they both smiled and laughed as they slowly walked down the trail toward Westbridge