Shen Ju Rong - In the Mists (2/2)

Shen Ju Rong scrambled to his feet, his  breath heavy. He immediately went into a fighting  stance, and  the dragon rumbled out a deep laugh.  'Red dragon, red dragon,' Shen's mind raced, 'What do defeat a red dragon...' Shen rushed through the words to a spell and his fists burst with radiant purple energy. The dragon laughed again.  "Please," it spoke, it's breath so foul as to nearly knock Shen to his knees.  "Tell me you aren't planning a strike on me."

The dragon  moved as quick as  lightning around Shen, sweeping his massive tail  so fast Shen had no time to react. He was on his back and the dragon's face was inches above  his own.  The  saliva dripped from  the jagged teeth and onto his neck.  "You won't have time to  think, boy.  It is your fortune I have one meal thanks to your animal.  It's been a long time since I've had meat.  It's a rare but delectable treat I enjoy, thoroughly."
"What do you want?"
"Want?  To  feast on the number  of your kind  that live behind the wall. There  aren't normally many who are foolish enough to come into the mists... those that do, perish."

Shen rolled from beneath the dragon's mouth and gagged.  He wiped at the saliva that was stinging his skin and  looked up into the red eyes.  "I'll make a deal
with you, any deal you like."

"Propositions from boy mortals.  Fool."
"If you help me find my way out of here... I'll ensure that you get food, meat."
"Human?"

Shen  looked down  for a moment.  He  could say what he wished.  By the time he figured out  how to defeat this creature, he  wouldn't bring him back anything.
"Yes," Shen answered.  "Human."
"And how do I know you will keep your word?"
"I..."
"Perhaps I  will take part of  your power to keep  for my own, your knowledge."
"My teachings?"
"Yes.  You will remember them when you return with your vast army of bodies for my consumption.  Do we have a deal?"
"Do I have a choice?"
"Die or agree.  There is always a choice."

Shen glared at the dragon  and nodded once, very curtly.  He felt the weight of  the  dragon's thumb on  the top of his head and a sudden tingle down his spine. He felt a pull, a twitch, and the dragon removed his claws and snapped his fingers. Shen began  to bow and grovel... not  of his own accord.  "Perfect," the dragon hissed.
"What is the meaning of this?!"
"I have  a puppet, fool.  And  you will stand  by your  side of the bargain.  I will be sure  of it.  Treasure and meat until you drop in old age and I consume you."
"This isn't right!" Shen shouted.
"Never open your mind to one who is more brilliant than ever you will be."