Dinner

It had been several days since Claire had talked Ruthivan into  birth control, raising their four children, inviting her  father and  mother over, and  faking her flames like mad as she held onto memories long past. It was just unfortunate that in  her zeal to  lie long enough to  break free, Ruthivan had lied about birth control so that he got her pregnant days after Hadriel was born, he kept  her parents  from coming for days as well, and her hopes  of getting outside long enough to contact  someone, anyone, to  save her were shut down with the discovery of her newest child. She was frantic, she wanted free, but she was drugged and found herself  in a foggy haze for a day.

Finally, Ruthivan  had made good on his promise. He  invited her parents  to dinner, knowing that her mother, Seranfrit would be  on is  side, and knowing that her father, Eladrim, wouldn't be at all the wiser since - in the tent - she couldn't communicate with  him in secret.  Still,  Claire had to  do something.  She felt stir crazy, like she was  drowning, suffocating, being  choked by the lies that fell fat from her lips after filling her throat. 

She  did her cooking, listening  to her mother's harpy-like voice crooning over her grandchildren and praising Ruthivan  for being such a good father.  She kept  her head bowed as she worked at the stove.  Once dinner  was  ready, the  entire family  sat at  the table.  Eladrim, her father, gave a smile and nod. "This looks delicious," he said.  "So, it seems things have been going well here."

'He beats  me,' Claire  said, not  bothering  to look  at the strangled look of murderous rage on Ruthivan's  face as she spoke.  'I want to leave here and he will not let me.  I am a prisoner in my  own home.  I  want out.  I want to break the bond. I want to be free of this man.  If I can't break away, I'm  afraid of what I will do to myself.  I harbor a hate so deep and full, a hopelessness  so complete and total, that I will end my life if I do not get help.'

The  table was silent until Desmaren, two and so precocious shouted out, "Let's eat!"