-6- The Broken Machine (Pt. 2)

"Ahh. A dwarf! Such a long time since I've seen a dwarf!" Bosch had seen at least two more since his arrival in Rassalantar and considered asking it if it had lived in a cave its whole life, but then the answer may very well have been yes. "Yes, I am a dwarf, and would I be right to guess you are a podrikev?" It bobbed its head in agreement. "There are not many of your kind left in the realms. Is there any particular reason why you were crawling around beneath my innroom?" he asked. The podrikev looked down. "It is cold and dry there, and while it can postpone my eventual failure, I had to find other means. I am broken." Bosch looked the podrikev up and down. It was shorter than most he remembered and badly rusted, though its brain seemed to be working normally. In fact, it articulated speech very well for most. "How are you broken," Bosch asked. The podrikev shuddered as it rose up from its resting position. With a loud grinding sound, it moved its arms and legs until smoke began to rise from them. "I am seven years due for maintenance and three years past my life expectancy. It was my hope that expending the energy to come up to the surface would afford me the opportunity to find someone who could help. Do you know golem magic?" "I think I know some people that may be able to help you out," Bosch said after a moment. "How fit are you to accompany me north?" The podrikev looked northward and then back at Bosch. "I think can make the journey. How far are we going?" Bosch smiled at the question, because he didnt have a good answer for it. "Your guess is as good as mine how far I need to go, but I cannot return without finding something." Bosch looked out over the Long Road as it disappeared into the darkness. The moon rose high in the sky as it waited for the sun to chase it away once again. "Tomorrow at first light, I will set out. If you are here then, I will tell you more about my quest and you can accompany me. My friends can help you." In reply, the podrikev bobbed its head and let out a whirl. As Bosch walked back to the inn, he turned to ask the podrikev his name. "The gnome who built me gave me the same name as the gnome who I once was. The name was Dagon. You can call me Dagon." "Well, Dagon. I will see you shortly then." "Shortly, yes."