Stomping the Fire

Sanria stared at the books in front of her.  She hadn't been back to the cottage  yet.  She knew Gilean  would probably be  wondering where she'd gone.  No, she  couldn't go back yet.  She  had something she had to do. In a hasty utterance  of spell, she appeared beside Colin and before the man could look up, laid a smack across his face that left her hand stinging.  "You could have fucked anyone in the whole of the realms..."

He didn't beg. He didn't plead. He barely said more than 'Yes' and 'No.'
"You win," she said, walking to the door.
"...no, not me."
"Yes.  You.  This is what you wanted.  If not, you wouldn't have stuffed yourself inside my friend when she prostituted her body to you.  Though, I suppose she's not my friend anymore.  And neither are you."
"I'm sorry.  And I understand."

His  absolute agreement with  her words made her furious and the well of pain that much deeper.  "Anyone... and you chose her."
"And you chose Gilean."
"You KNOW why," she said, storming back to meet him eye to eye.
"Yes.  I do.  And, unfortunately, those reasons are right."
"But you came back to  us, and if you had given me time to sort out how,  I..."  She stopped, her agony  getting the  better of her.  What she was admitting... was so devious to the man she had wed.
"No, I'm  sorry Sanria.  There wasn't a way.  But you and Gilean will be happy. You have  Matinus and  Nioma and your baby.  Yours and his.  You will be happy."
"No.  We  won't be, Colin...  I  don't trust  anyone... and I never will again. I suppose it's just what I deserve after how I've lived my life."

"No Sanria... don't do that.  He hasn't done anything to wrong you."
"The  people closest to me... and  one who keeps me alive... have run me into the ground.  If the people closest to you can hurt you to the point of agony... who else is left to trust?"

Sanria  left and walked into the  forest.  She followed the stream until she dropped  to her knees and  poured her soul  onto the  boulder at her side in the form of tears. She sat there for a long time, long after she had stopped crying.  She never  once  looked up.  She had finally reaped what she'd sewn... but no... she wasn't yet done.  Not yet.