The Muse (Part 2)

"You motherless sons of dogs," a ship captain announciated more than his crew as he spoke sharply to them, "Bringing a creature like this on board, and a women none the less! It'll be a complete miracle if we catch any fish t'all this trip."

" But Cap'n, she ma'ya drowned werenot for sully and pike" a sailor in a pinstripe shirt whined.

"And we done be the better for it," the captain picked an apple out of a barrel and bit into it and let it hang at his side. The apple was all I cared about, this squabble was nothing, my hunger was such that I could have eaten them. I crawled to him and grabbed it out of his hand and took a bite. It was sweeter than any bliss I knew. The juice seeped out of it a bit and ran off the corner of my mouth.

"And just look what this curr lass has done now, stolen my apple," He stomped his foot and pulled the cutlas from his belt. "Now hand that back, or do I take it by force! " 


I bit into the apple again and as he raised his sword I thought of divine power. How the wrath would tear through his body like my teeth through the apple. Perhaps not, with a word his eyes drooped and sword fell to the floor and he fell asleep. The crew members shrieked and began running around the ship grabbing wooden planks and readying life boats. Some of the lesser minded fools jumped overboard with nothing. Good, I thought, means we're near enough to shore. Standing, I grabbed another apple from the barrel and bit into it. I'll eat a whole bushel of these.

The last of the crew jumped overboard and swam toward a life boat and with a few words of magic I summoned an elemental of wind to stear the ship and controlled the weather to push the boat in the direction the life boats were going. West it is then.

After a few more apples and a skin of wine I'd found in the captains quarters, land was on the horizon. Fury raged within me being fueled by a fire of vengeance. Standing on the crossbeam of one of the sails, even the wind didn't cool my thoughts. It was too long since I could do anything about what had happened. All that time in the dark had stolen her memory, it would take a long while to find it. That's ok, I thought, time was suddenly on her side.