Rush

The magic washed over her in waves of vibration that set her skin tingling.  She stepped through to see a ring of tents, one slightly larger than the rest, a standard flapping in the wind above it. The few espers that walked about stopped and stared at her with an open skepticism, their looks bordering on hostile.  "Who are you?" one finally shot, his skin a deep orange, his hair white flames.
'My name is Mirin, and Claire is my mother.'

The atmosphere settled into ice and the other espers narrowed their eyes.  "The Kra'ineba has no other children but the four in her home and the one on the way."
'Kra... what?'
"Our Elder's mate."
'Oh... okay... right.  Well, listen, she's in trouble and I've come to set things straight.'
"The Kra'ineba is in no danger."
'I assure you, she is.'

Before the orange esper could say more, a ruddy hand was lain upon his shoulder.  Ruthivan walked to the fore, his eyebrows lifted in a glance of disdain.  "Welcome, half-breed.  How did you find our camp?"

Mirin's mouth pulled into a slight sneer.  She walked forward and found herself looking up into Ruthivan's face.  'I got directions from your son.  You do remember him, the one you slapped for trying to help his family?'

The crowd of espers bristled with sudden whispers and Ruthivan  cocked his head to the side with a chuckle.  "He is not my son."
'That must be convenient.  You just drop any kids you don't like and get to pretend they don't exist.'
"It's been a nice chat, but it's time for you to leave."
'Not until I speak to my mother.'
"My mate is only permitted to speak to full blooded espers that are loyal to the cause of our people."
'Permitted?' Mirin telepathed with incredulity.  'Are you her father?' 

"I killed him because he was a wayward soul.  Careful that I don't do the world a service and remove you from it as well."

Mirin's eyes flashed as she smiled.  Around her hands, crackling energy sizzled from the air and in her palms, white hot balls of magic formed.  'I see now what she said was true.  She is not safe and I intend to fix that.'

Ruthivan grinned and transformed.  Before Mirin now towered a red dog-like creature with large claws and fangs.  He barked more than spoke.  At his sides, other espers made their transformations, until Mirin was staring at three of the most twisted magical abominations she had ever seen.  "Come, let us take out the garbage," Ruthivan barked.