Time By the Fountain

The four lion-heads each spilled out from their roaring mouths, adding a melodic trickle to the distant din of the waterfall  that poured into the lake far below.  Enmach and Colin sat on the edge of the fountain, and Enmach listened as Colin spoke, feeling not at all guilty for her part in separating Sanria and Colin. "A part of me feels like I went on a trip and when I came back my friend had stolen my wife away," Colin said in reference to Gilean. "To be honest, Colin, we had no way of knowing you would return.  Our people did all they could do for you, and had no other recourse left with the gaps in your memory.  Sanria... you see... was beyond  hurt by this."
"Well, it seems she found some comfort."
"She didn't want to.  I pushed her to do so."

There was a moment's shock on Colin's face as he looked over at her, still, Enmach felt no remorse.  "You... what?" "I pushed her to seek out Ror when he asked for her to join him on a midnight picnic.  I did not disparage her when she found comfort  in Gilean's arms, though I advised against such a quick marriage... She needed to move on, Colin."
"But I was back.  Sanria and I even found ourselves together... Now  I couldn't feel all she felt but..."
"Colin... she remembered everything, even all the hurt you caused her, and you could not.  There was no comparison to what she remembered and what you didn't.  It is hardly even when that is a consideration.  I am sorry it upsets you.  But I also saw the pain it caused her being near you."
"So now I get to be the one in pain, is that it?"
"I did not do this with the intention of harming you.  In fact, our  being together was a way for you to also see you could move on past  not remembering."
"So you calculated that?"
"In part. Though I also found joy in it."
"Great," Colin said, and put his head in his hands.
"Why do you insist on seeing it negatively?  Did you not enjoy our  time together as I did?"  Enmach said these words without a twinge of feeling.  Her emotions could not be reached.  They were not a necessary part to her conversation now.
"Well, yes, but now it just feels like it was at least partially
motivated by pity.  Not exactly the best feeling."

"Pity?  No.  Education.  You can still move on, Colin."
"What if I don't want to move on?"
"Then there will be hardships ahead for more than just yourself."

Enmach listened and spoke when appropriate.  Colin wanted Sanria back, and from everything Sanria said about him, Colin wasn't one to give up.  Not easily, at least.  Though she, too, had dealings with Colin, she did not have a stake in his future.  She could  speak freely - reminding him of Gilean, Matinus, and Nioma, the family struggling to survive.  She planted the seed of his moving on to someone else, Kaliadra perhaps.  What Enmach saw, however, was a man beside himself.  She had no blame to place.